Tuesday, May 1, 2018

a civil war ballgown complete.

I did it... It's finished! I made my ballgown!! I took it to our county's 4-H clothing revue and took first and I might be taking it to state! It only took me since last summer to finish but considering I got it complete by my deadline I'm fine with that! So obviously here are the awkward pictures! These were taken at the revue if you're interested in knowing.
I look so... thrilled
CLOSE UPS 
Side view

Back view. Can I just say, I've fallen in LOVE with how I did my hair! Want a tutorial???
Let me tell you... my machine has quite the temperament, it loves to EAT sheer fabric. I may have began yelling at it on multiple one *cheeky grin* occasion in a Russian accent. Tip I learned after the fact: place tissue paper on the top of it and rip it out after you stitch! 

Here are my tips for ironing a civil war ballgown:  When ironing DO NOT I repeat, DO NOT lay the HOT iron on top of your hand!!! It hurts... no burns, just redness. Just always pay attention.  When ironing sheer don't accidentally turn up the temperature and burn a HOLE in your shoulder drape. Use a thin towel on top or simply don't turn up the temperature.  And lastly, always steal your mother to help; Thanks for the help mom!!

The most tedious part was probably the waist because I got to do my favorite part... pull one TINY thread that breaks like a hundred times through an entire dress, evenly! I broke the thread at least 4 times and had to "improvise". But it is the part that makes the dress feel like it's really coming together.

Misty, the homely self taught sewer realized one fatal flaw in her scheme to make this ballgown... She's only ever put in one single zipper in her life. Four years ago. So youtube and the seam ripper became her best friends! Three tries later she said good enough, and let me say this, I HATE the zipper foot . *dramatic pound of the key*

Thanks for reading my post (rather, my rant of my sewing excursions)! Have any of y'all joined this bandwagon of dress making? Tell me about it in a comment! Have an awesome day

                      Your's Truly,


6 comments:

  1. Ok, so first of all, homely is definitely not a word I would use to describe you :)

    Second, I LOVE your dress!! I don't think I'd ever have the patience to finish something with so much slippery/unruly fabric. Cotton tests my patience quite enough XD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes cotton can be fiddely too! Amen to that!

      Delete
  2. Great job on the dress! I’m so glad I could help support you when you needed to vent at your machine ��
    And.... my sweet girl you are NOT!!!! HOMELY!!!!! Home taught yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress is so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete